Ongoing extended trading permit online lodgement guide

Guidance for licensees on how to apply for an extended trading permit.

Online portal

Login to lodge and renew applications, manage licensing and submit returns.

Sign in

General information on extended trading permits

This information explains the types of ongoing extended trading permits (ETP) available under the Liquor Control Act 1988 (the Act). To be read in conjunction with the relevant policies available on our website.

Lodgement checklist

All information is entered directly into the online form unless specified otherwise. Please note any Director’s policy or forms.

Lodgement requirements for all ongoing extended trading permit (ETP) applications

Lodgement requirements for each permit type

No additional information is required for Liquor without a Meal (restricted to 120 persons or less) or Late Delivery.



Cellar Door Operations

Dining area

Extended area (consumption whilst seated — alfresco)

Extended area (consumption whilst standing — area)

Guest accommodation (lodgers/residential)

Liquor without a meal (not restricted to 120 persons or less)

Ongoing hours



Extended Trading Permits — sale and supply of liquor to non-members at club and club restricted licensed premises

May 30, 2019, 11:17 AM
Title : Extended Trading Permits — sale and supply of liquor to non-members at club and club restricted licensed premises
Introduction : Section 48(2) of the of the Liquor Control Act 1988 provides that a club licence authorises the sale and supply of liquor to club members and to the guests of members.
Select a publication type : Policy

Effective date: 10 May 1999
Last amended: 18 June 2020 
Next review: June 2022


This policy guideline is designed to provide information in regard to the subject matter covered, and with the understanding that the Director of Liquor Licensing is not passing legal opinion or interpretation or other professional advice.  The information is provided on the understanding that all persons undertake responsibility for assessing the relevance and accuracy of its contents.


This document provides guidance on the legislative requirements relating to extended trading permits for non-member functions and the circumstances that the licensing authority may have regard to when considering applications for these permits.  Licensees should also refer to the policy on Extended Trading Permits for One-Off Events or Functions in conjunction with Information Bulletin No. 14.

Section 48(2) of the of the Liquor Control Act 1988 provides that a club licence authorises the sale and supply of liquor to club members and to the guests of members.

In addition, section 48(2A) provides that a club licence authorises the sale and supply of liquor to a visitor for consumption on the licensed premises if the sale does not contravene the rules of the club.  A visitor is defined as a person who:

  1. is at least 40 km or, if a greater distance is prescribed for the purposes of this paragraph, at least that distance from their usual place of residence; and
  2. is visiting the club while travelling in the course of a holiday or travelling for leisure or business; and
  3. is required, at the time of their visit, to pay a fee to the club for the use of its facilities.

Clubs are required to make available an up to date register of visitors continually available for inspection at the club premises.

Pursuant to section 60 of the Liquor Control Act 1988, on application by the licensee, the licensing authority may grant an extended trading permit authorising the licensee to sell and supply liquor under the licence, according to the tenor of a permit, in circumstances to which that licence would not otherwise apply.

Section 60(4)(cb) specifically identifies that one of the purposes for which a permit may be granted is to authorise the sale and supply of liquor by club and club restricted licences, to persons who are not members (or genuine guests of a member) of the club for a special occasion or function.  For example, an open day, or function such as a wedding reception held by a non-member.   

As this type of extended trading permit allows clubs to sell and supply liquor to the general public, the function or event to be held must not conflict with the rules of the club’s constitution.

Generally speaking, a club will be able to apply for up to 24 permits to sell and supply liquor to non-members in any 12-month period.  Approval of these 24 events can be sought in advance in one application. However, where a club makes more applications within a 12-month period, the onus will be on the club to demonstrate that the grant of the additional permit(s) will be in the public interest.

Lodging an application

An application for an extended trading permit under section 60(4)(cb) will be required to meet the following criteria:

  1. Applications must be submitted well in advance of the proposed function date.  Regulation 14AC of the Liquor Control Regulations 1989 identifies the minimum lodgement periods.
  2. A request to trade outside the permitted hours or the area of the licensed premises will require consent of the premises owner and local council. 
  3. Payment of the prescribed application fee as outlined in Schedule 3 of the Liquor Control Regulations 1989.
  4. Lodgement of a Form 7A Notice of Application for Extended Trading Permit for Non-Members.
  5. Applications for ‘non-members permits’ in excess of 24 permits in a 12-month period must be accompanied by written submissions demonstrating why the grant of further permits is in the public interest.
Tags :
  • application
  • club
  • Extended Trading Permit
  • policy
Categories :
  • Liquor
Related local governments

Lodging your application

Ongoing extended trading permits (ETPs) are designed to extend trading conditions in accordance with the permit. Applicants with an existing liquor licence can complete an online application form for these types of permanent extensions. The online form is designed to be intuitive; it will change to reflect the options you select as you proceed. This process will provide greater visibility of the overall application process to all applicants and aims to reduce determination times.

In order to access this application you have to log in to the account that is linked to the permanent liquor licence. You will not be able to complete this application form using a new account or an account that is linked to a different licensee/entity.

The department is committed to ensuring that information on our website is widely accessible. If you require a manual copy of the new application form to be emailed or posted to you, please contact the department on 61 8 6551 4888.

Please note that the time taken to process an application will vary depending on a range of factors including the complexity of the application, advertising times and any objections which may be raised.

How to lodge an application

Applications for ongoing extended trading permits must be lodged under an account that is linked to an existing liquor licence, specifically the one you are intending to extend.

Please refer to the following steps to lodge your application:

  1. Log into your existing Account
  2. Select the Application Type
  3. Complete the Application form
  4. Make payment

Step 1: Accessing your account

Log in to your existing account to start this process.

If you are an existing licensee, but do not yet have an online account, please set up a new account and select ‘No’ that you are not a current licence holder, then register the account. Please email your new Username to so we can connect your new account to your existing liquor licence.  Please note - if the person emailing the username is not part of the licensee entity (eg employee) they will need to also email authority from the licensee authorising the request being made.  

If you have forgotten your password please use the Reset Password option in the first instance to access the account. Please note that we do not use emails as usernames, if you do not remember your username please contact us on 61 8 6551 4999.

Step 2: Select the Application Type

Now that you are set up with an account you can start the application.

  1. In the menu bar at the top of the page click on New Lodgement to locate the online application forms.
  2. From the drop down menu select the Group as Liquor and then the Type as Ongoing Extended Trading Permit. Click on Submit to start the form.
Permanent online step 2

Step 3: Completing the application form

The application form will open onto an Instructions page which explains how to use the form. Read through each question carefully and remember to save your form often.

This form is designed to be intuitive, when you answer a question it will change the form to allow you to provide more information. Please be sure to give the pages a few moments to update when you select an option in case it needs to create more fields for you to fill out.

If you do not have the information required at hand you can save your form and return to it later via the My Account page. Clicking on Save will create a link on the My Account page under Saved Forms. You can click on Resume to proceed or Delete to remove the saved form.

If you wish to keep a copy of the application form for your records you can only do this prior to submitting the application. Clicking on the PDF button will create a PDF of the application form in its current state for you to save to your computer.

Permanent online step 3 completing the application form

Step 4: Making payment

Upon submission of the form click on the Pay Fee button to view the payment options and make payment.

Payment for online lodgement can be made online via BPOINT. To pay via any other method, including BPay, please click the View Quote button. This will generate a quote with payment details and your unique application number.

Please make sure to quote the Application Reference Number when submitting any enquiries or manual documents in relation to this application.

When the fee is paid the date of lodgement will be the date the payment is receipted by the licensing authority. It generally takes 1-2 business days for the fee to register on our system. Please be aware that we will be unable to issue you with an official receipt until the fee has fully registered. When you make payment online you will instead be offered a payment confirmation slip which you can retain as evidence of payment if required.

For a full list of the fees and charges please refer to the fees and charges page.

Application fees are not subject to GST.
Permanent online step 4 making payment

What happens next

If your application is submitted successfully, you will be emailed an acknowledgment letter. This will confirm that the department has received your application; it will also outline any further information required for this application and the date by which it must be submitted.

Page reviewed 11 September 2023