The history of Camp Quaranup.
The Commonwealth Quarantine Station, Albany, was established in 1875
as a consequence of West Australian Government officials being
quarantined on Rabbit Island (Mistaken Island) and having to live in
tents with basic rations and ablutions. The ensuing outcry and
increasing migration to Western Australia forced the Government to plan a
small quarantine station on an isolated parcel of land across the
harbour at Vancouver Peninsula. As immigration increased more buildings
were added, in particular between 1898 and 1904.
The main reasons
for increased immigration were wars in Europe and South Africa and the
subsequent huge displacement of people, and the opening up of vast
tracts of agricultural land and the discovery of gold in Western
Australia. Quarantine measures were also increased as people from all
over the world poured into Western Australia. Some immigrants brought
deadly diseases with them, thus starting epidemics. As ships were
quarantined, the passengers were sent to the quarantine station.
immigration declined in the late 1900s, and with advances in medicine,
the quarantine station became less used and was eventually closed in the
1930s. Between the 1930s and 1950s several community groups used it but
gradually the station fell into serious disrepair.
quarantine station was then privately leased to the Wheeler family in
1956 and the name was changed to Camp Quaranup. Eventually, the State
Government took over the lease and ran it primarily as a recreation
Rob and Jo Lucas operated Camp Quaranup as a recreation
camp for 19 years from 1992, facilitating recreation programs and
accommodation opportunities for Western Australians.
department now operates Camp Quaranup,
continuing to deliver recreation camp services in one of the few intact,
working ex-quarantine stations in the world.
Do not submit enquiries with this form.