Resolving a concern with your council

​​If you have a concern involving your local government you should attempt to resolve it directly with them first.

A telephone call may be sufficient to resolve the matter, otherwise, it is recommended that you write to the Chief Executive Officer of your local government describing your complaint and the resolution you are seeking. You will need to allow the local government a reasonable time to respond. If the response you receive is incomplete or unclear, you may need to seek further clarification.

If, after receiving a response, your problem remains unresolved, you may wish to consider raising the matter with your local ward Councillor, Shire President or Mayor. Details of your local council representative may be found on the local government's website. Alternatively you may wish to contact the local government directly.

Role of the department

Local governments are autonomous bodies with their own rights and powers under law. The department's governance branch investigates matters relating to breaches of the Local Government Act 1995 (the Act), and its subsidiary legislation.

Minor breach complaints

If you think your complaint relates to a breach of the Local Government Act or Regulations and your efforts to resolve your issue with the local government have been unsuccessful, it may be open to you to make a minor breach complaint to the department.

Serious breaches

Alternatively, if you have reason to believe that a council member has committed a serious breach of the Local Government Act you may make a serious breach complaint to the department in the prescribed form, in accordance with section 5.114 of the Act.

Matters that cannot be investigated by the department

Legal matters

The department does not generally examine matters where the complaint has been referred to a more appropriate agency. If you have a legal question, the department recommends you seek your own legal advice.

Page reviewed 23 November 2023