Ongoing extended trading permit online lodgement guide

Guidance for licensees on how to apply for an extended trading permit.

Online portal

Login to lodge and renew applications, manage licensing and submit returns.

Sign in

General information on extended trading permits

This information explains the types of ongoing extended trading permits (ETP) available under the Liquor Control Act 1988 (the Act). To be read in conjunction with the relevant policies available on our website.

Lodgement checklist

All information is entered directly into the online form unless specified otherwise. Please note any Director’s policy or forms.

Lodgement requirements for all ongoing extended trading permit (ETP) applications

Lodgement requirements for each permit type

No additional information is required for Liquor without a Meal (restricted to 120 persons or less) or Late Delivery.



Cellar Door Operations

Dining area

Extended area (consumption whilst seated — alfresco)

Extended area (consumption whilst standing — area)

Guest accommodation (lodgers/residential)

Liquor without a meal (not restricted to 120 persons or less)

Ongoing hours



Extended Trading Permits — Producers — Cellar Door Operations

May 30, 2019, 10:18 AM
Title : Extended Trading Permits — Producers — Cellar Door Operations
Introduction : The cellar door ETP provides producers with the opportunity to promote their products to the wider public within their region.
Select a publication type : Policy

Effective date: 1 December 2015
Last amended: 3 October 2018
Next review: October 2020


This policy is designed to provide information in regard to the subject matter covered, and with the understanding that the Director of Liquor Licensing is not passing legal opinion or interpretation or other professional advice. The information is provided on the understanding that all persons undertake responsibility for assessing the relevance and accuracy of its contents.


Section 61A of the Liquor Control Act 1988 (the Act), provides for the issue of a cellar door extended trading permit (ETP) to producers to enable them to establish, either individually or with other producers, a cellar door operation away from their respective licensed premises.

The cellar door ETP provides producers with the opportunity to promote their products to the wider public within their region.

A wine producer contemplating establishing a cellar door operation is limited to one operation per wine region where their licensed premises exist, whereas a beer or spirit producer is limited to one operation per local government district in which their production facilities exist.

Legislative provisions

Sections 60(4)(ia) and 61A of the Act collectively provide the authority that enables a producer to sell liquor under their licence from another premises in which a licensee would not ordinarily be authorised to sell their products from.

The authorisation will be in a form of a cellar door ETP attached to the producer’s licence. In the case of two or more producers operating from the same cellar door operation, a separate cellar door ETP will be issued against each individual producer’s licence involved in the operation, however those licensees will be jointly and severally liable in respect of any civil or criminal liability that attaches to the licensee under this Act.

Wine producing regions are as specified under section 4(1) of the Australian Grape and Wine Authority Act 2013(Cth).  Refer to Attachment 1 for the current wine producing regions of Western Australia. With respect to beer and spirit producers, Attachment 2 specifies all local government districts throughout the state.


A cellar door ETP cannot be issued to a producer unless the licensing authority is satisfied that the:

  1. intended premises is fit for the purposes for selling liquor and the producer is entitled to use the premises for a cellar door operation; and
  2. applicant has consulted and obtained the support/approval of the relevant local government authority to conduct a cellar door operation.

In addition, the following requirements are required to be adopted by a producer in relation to the operation of cellar door ETP and may also be placed as conditions on the permit:

Management agreements

Section 61A(5) of the Act requires that where two or more producers are involved in a cellar door operation, there is a management agreement in place between the licensees for the purposes of managing the premises. A copy of the management agreement (and as amended from time to time) must be provided to the licensing authority.

The content of a management agreement is a matter for the relevant parties to determine. However, while the management agreement is not required to be approved by the licensing authority, as part of the agreement, it must specify that the persons actually selling the liquor at the cellar door is the employee or agent of all licensees involved in the cellar door operation.

Licensees will be jointly and severally liable in respect of any civil or criminal liability that attaches to the licensee under this Act.

Approved managers

In accordance with section 60(3)(b) of the Act, an approved manager must be in attendance at the premises at all times while liquor is authorised to be sold or supplied at the premises under the ETP. The management of premises subject to a cellar door ETP is to be undertaken by an unrestricted approved manager.

Signage/trading names

Premises where a cellar door ETP is operated a sign must be displayed in a conspicuous position at the exit/entry points to each part of the premises providing the following minimum detail:

  1. Class of Licence: Producer’s Licence.
  2. Permit Type: Cellar Door Extended Trading Permit.

A cellar door operation may use a trading name. However, if it differs from a licensee’s current approved trading name it must be approved by the Director of Liquor Licensing. Please refer to the Director’s policy for Trading Names.

Incident/training registers

Incident and training registers are to be maintained on the premises at all times. For guidance on the minimum requirements of the registers please refer to the Director’s policies for Incident Registers at Licensed Premises and Mandatory Training.


The licensee(s) of a cellar door ETP must maintain on the premises a copy of each cellar door ETP relevant to the location, a copy of each respective producers licence and a plan of the premises subject to the ETP.

Unaccompanied Juveniles

Unaccompanied juveniles are not permitted to enter or remain on any premises subject to a cellar door ETP.

Liquor returns

Licensees are responsible for including any sales to other liquor merchants under a cellar door ETP in their respective annual liquor return.

Trading hours

The permitted trading hours for a cellar door ETP are:

  • Monday to Saturday: 8am to 10pm
  • Sunday:  10am to 10pm
  • ANZAC Day: 12noon to 10pm

No trading will be permitted on Good Friday or Christmas Day.

All cellar door ETPs will be conditioned with the permitted trading hours.

Profit Sharing

Where a licensee in a collective cellar door operation only receives the portion of revenue derived from the sale of their own product will not be required to lodge an application for profit sharing. However, licensees involved in a collective cellar door operation where the proceeds from the sale of liquor under the operation is on a share basis will be required to lodge an application for profit sharing under section 104 of the Act.

For further information in relation to profit sharing please refer to the Director’s policy for Profit Sharing and Management Agreements.

Application fees

The fee applicable to an application for a cellar door ETP is outlined in Schedule 3 of the Liquor Control Regulations 1989.

An application for a cellar door ETP lodged with an application for the grant of a producer’s licence does not attract a fee.

Lodging an application

An application for a cellar door ETP is to be lodged with the department . An application kit can be obtained from the department’s website.

Customer service officers are available during office hours to assist applicants understand the requirements relating to the lodgement of a cellar door ETP. Enquiries can be made by email at or by telephoning 61 8 6551 4888.

Attachment 1 wine regions of Western Australia

Attachment 1 wine regions of Western Australia

Attachment 2 local government areas of Western Australia

Local governments in Western Australia
Tags :
  • application
  • cellar door
  • Extended Trading Permit
  • policy
  • producer
Categories :
  • Liquor
Related local governments

Lodging your application

Ongoing extended trading permits (ETPs) are designed to extend trading conditions in accordance with the permit. Applicants with an existing liquor licence can complete an online application form for these types of permanent extensions. The online form is designed to be intuitive; it will change to reflect the options you select as you proceed. This process will provide greater visibility of the overall application process to all applicants and aims to reduce determination times.

In order to access this application you have to log in to the account that is linked to the permanent liquor licence. You will not be able to complete this application form using a new account or an account that is linked to a different licensee/entity.

The department is committed to ensuring that information on our website is widely accessible. If you require a manual copy of the new application form to be emailed or posted to you, please contact the department on 61 8 6551 4888.

Please note that the time taken to process an application will vary depending on a range of factors including the complexity of the application, advertising times and any objections which may be raised.

How to lodge an application

Applications for ongoing extended trading permits must be lodged under an account that is linked to an existing liquor licence, specifically the one you are intending to extend.

Please refer to the following steps to lodge your application:

  1. Log into your existing Account
  2. Select the Application Type
  3. Complete the Application form
  4. Make payment

Step 1: Accessing your account

Log in to your existing account to start this process.

If you are an existing licensee, but do not yet have an online account, please set up a new account and select ‘No’ that you are not a current licence holder, then register the account. Please email your new Username to so we can connect your new account to your existing liquor licence.  Please note - if the person emailing the username is not part of the licensee entity (eg employee) they will need to also email authority from the licensee authorising the request being made.  

If you have forgotten your password please use the Reset Password option in the first instance to access the account. Please note that we do not use emails as usernames, if you do not remember your username please contact us on 61 8 6551 4999.

Step 2: Select the Application Type

Now that you are set up with an account you can start the application.

  1. In the menu bar at the top of the page click on New Lodgement to locate the online application forms.
  2. From the drop down menu select the Group as Liquor and then the Type as Ongoing Extended Trading Permit. Click on Submit to start the form.
Permanent online step 2

Step 3: Completing the application form

The application form will open onto an Instructions page which explains how to use the form. Read through each question carefully and remember to save your form often.

This form is designed to be intuitive, when you answer a question it will change the form to allow you to provide more information. Please be sure to give the pages a few moments to update when you select an option in case it needs to create more fields for you to fill out.

If you do not have the information required at hand you can save your form and return to it later via the My Account page. Clicking on Save will create a link on the My Account page under Saved Forms. You can click on Resume to proceed or Delete to remove the saved form.

If you wish to keep a copy of the application form for your records you can only do this prior to submitting the application. Clicking on the PDF button will create a PDF of the application form in its current state for you to save to your computer.

Permanent online step 3 completing the application form

Step 4: Making payment

Upon submission of the form click on the Pay Fee button to view the payment options and make payment.

Payment for online lodgement can be made online via BPOINT. To pay via any other method, including BPay, please click the View Quote button. This will generate a quote with payment details and your unique application number.

Please make sure to quote the Application Reference Number when submitting any enquiries or manual documents in relation to this application.

When the fee is paid the date of lodgement will be the date the payment is receipted by the licensing authority. It generally takes 1-2 business days for the fee to register on our system. Please be aware that we will be unable to issue you with an official receipt until the fee has fully registered. When you make payment online you will instead be offered a payment confirmation slip which you can retain as evidence of payment if required.

For a full list of the fees and charges please refer to the fees and charges page.

Application fees are not subject to GST.
Permanent online step 4 making payment

What happens next

If your application is submitted successfully, you will be emailed an acknowledgment letter. This will confirm that the department has received your application; it will also outline any further information required for this application and the date by which it must be submitted.

Page reviewed 11 September 2023